How can you get rid of used hearing aids? The answer is always the same whether you choose to update to a more sophisticated model like cochlear implants or you got them from a departed family member: your pre-owned hearing aids need to be donated rather than throwing them away.
There are a lot of people suffering from hearing loss who could use a donated hearing aid, and a few organizations out there that collect and distribute those hearing aids to the individuals in need. Keep reading to find out how and why to donate used hearing aids.
Why You Should Think About Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
- About 14% of the total population, suffers from loss of hearing
- 91% of adults suffering from loss of hearing are over the age of 50
- 15% of school-age children have some type of hearing loss
- Hearing aids would help approximately 29 million adults with hearing loss, but…
- …only 16% (4.6 million) of them actually utilize hearing aids
- The average age for first-time hearing aid users is 70, but again…
- Of those over 70 who require hearing aids, less than 30% percent have ever used them
I think we should be concerned. Because health problems like mental decline, greater risk of falling, and depression have been associated with untreated hearing loss. The relevance of your hearing to your general health is supported by new research being released regularly. These health issues can be prevented and in certain cases reversed by hearing aids.
And hearing loss will cost the typical family up to $12,000 every year which should be a very compelling fact. But that cost can actually be reduced by up to 50% with hearing aids.
For a family that loses out on $12,000 every year, it might just not be possible for them to afford a hearing aid.
For an individual in need, who can’t afford a hearing aid, your used hearing aids can have an enormous effect on their financial stability, quality of life, and overall health. It could also cost a child the ability to get into college and better their lives because they can’t hear in school.
How to Donate Your Used Hearing Aid
There are numerous volunteer organizations and manufacturers who help recycle old hearing aids. Stop by and we can help you find a recycling strategy. Or give us a call.